Great goal setting strategies to employGoal setting strategies are things you have heard of all your lives. It is nothing new and I have no new strategies. This article is just to highlight these tips on setting goals and to reinforce a few that you might have forgotten.

If you have a plan for the future or goals you want to achieve, I hope you do, you have to design a plan on how to get there. First, you will need to take some time to think through your current situation, and then ask yourself a few questions like:

• Are you okay with your current situation?
  • Do you want to change your current situation?
  • What is the time frame you have in mind for this change?
  • Do you know how to effect the changes?

Evaluating your current situation gives you an objective way to look at all you’ve accomplished, and it shows you where you are currently, so you can determine where you need to go.

Goal Setting Strategies – Define Your Goals and Dreams

Mankind has been blessed with unique qualities and abilities. One of the great abilities we have is the desire to dream of a better life and the ability to set goals to live out those dreams. Everyone has dreams. They may be right on the surface, or they might be buried deep down inside of you. Take the time to be quiet and reflect on your dreams and determine how you can accomplish them.

They always tell me to dream big. When I was a child my father would tell us that we could become anything we wanted to be in the world and we had the ability to do anything. I have not yet achieved all my dreams but I am still working at it. The beauty of all this is that you are never too old to pursue your dreams.

So if you had dreams of getting a degree, travelling the world, owning a business, building a mansion, owning a hotel whatever it is that you dream about daily it is possible to achieve. Start setting goals on how you plan on making these dreams reality.

Have Accountability

Starting today, the first step is to write your dreams down then read them aloud and affirm them in your spirit. Start employing these goal setting strategies and chart out how you are going to get to your dream. Now share them with someone close to you, remember there will always be dream slayers, so don’t be downhearted if you share your dreams with someone who can’t envision it.

However, if you can find even one positive person to share it with it is one more positive vibes to release in the universe. Also, when you share your dreams and goals with others, they have the power to hold you accountable by asking you to keep them updated on your progress. Accountability helps to put some teeth into the process. A goal isn’t as powerful if you don’t have at least one other person who can hold you accountable.

Set S.M.A.R.T. Goals – Powerful Goal Setting Strategies

setting goals

Goal setting is a powerful tool to help us get everything we want in life. The act of setting goals provides us with focus, and it shapes our dreams. It provides us with the ability to determine the exact actions we need to perform to achieve everything we want in life. We all need powerful, long-term goals to help us get past the short-term obstacles that life often throws at us. The more powerful our goals are, the more we can act on and guarantee we will be able to achieve them.

When setting goals, they need to be smart, which means they need to be:

* Specific

* Measurable

* Attainable

* Realistic

* and Have a Timeline

Specific

Make your goal as clear as possible and well-designed. Your goal is what is going to show you the way on how to get to your dreams. If you want a house on the hill state clearly where you want it, how many rooms, the design and even the colour you want it to be painted in.

If you planned to make money online state clearly what you planned to do, how you are going to do it and what are your strategies to make money online. You have to outline clearly a step by step plan.

Measurable

After setting your goals and stating clearly what you want and how you planned to achieve it, you need to put in measurable indicators. So now you need to state amount like how many houses, the amount of money you plan on making, how many countries you planned to visit, how many vacations you planned to take each year.

You can even to a price tag on these so you can design a budget so you will know exactly where you are each step of the way.

Attainable

Set goals that are attainable in your current situation, for instance, do not set a goal of building a five-bedroom house within the next year if you have no money or the land to build it on. It is not impossible to build a five-bedroom house but you have to give yourself a realistic possibility.

When you set unrealistic goals and it is not achieved it can bring frustration and demotivation. My advice set your goals in increments or phases it is more achievable in small increments. So you can start out by building two rooms in the first year and then add as you go along.

Relevant

Your goals should be relevant to the big picture, your ultimate dream. So if your dream is to own a five-bedroom mansion on Queen’s Hill you have to first acquire a piece of land on Queen’s Hill or seeking out if there are any houses selling in Queen’s Hill.

So if your goal is to get this five bedroom house and you have limited money instead of taking a vacation or buying a car the best thing to do is invest that money or put it in savings for the deposit on your house.

Make your goal relevant and meaningful to your life, so if owning a five-bedroom house is not that relevant to you setting goals to achieve it can be difficult. What does owning a five-bedroom house means to you? If it is just for a show there will be no inner drive so it is possible to lose interest.

Time Bound

When you set deadlines it keeps you on track and it is also a motivation. If you have no time frame in which to achieve the goals that you have set it becomes meaningless after a while and you lose motivation.

Conclusion

Setting S.M.A.R.T. goals will ensure that you have the tools you need to achieve them and that you are successful in reaching them.

Everyone wants to make a difference in their lives and accomplish something big. Setting goals is a step towards making this difference. When you set powerful goals, you can increase your chances of getting everything you have ever wanted in your life. By sticking with your goals, you will be one step closer to being the person that you always wanted to be.

So go for it today and make use of these goal setting strategies.

Categories: motivation

17 Comments

Alexander · September 28, 2018 at 1:08 am

I have a new goal to earn $200/mo from survey sites.

I found a great resource in Mikael’s website to help me achieve my goal.

I estimate I will need to complete 50 surveys a weekend to achieve this goal.

I will see if it is possible or maybe have to adjust my goal.

Great tips on good goal setting. Cheers

Doreen Gibson · September 28, 2018 at 3:29 am

Hey Alexander,

Thank you for taking the time out to read this articles.   Happy it was of value to you

Doreen.

Alexander · September 28, 2018 at 1:08 am

I have a new goal to earn $200/mo from survey sites.

I found a great resource in Mikael’s website to help me achieve my goal.

I estimate I will need to complete 50 surveys a weekend to achieve this goal.

I will see if it is possible or maybe have to adjust my goal.

Great tips on good goal setting. Cheers

Julia Kossowska · October 7, 2018 at 7:46 am

Hey thanks for this post.

You are right, even if we have heard all of these ideas before it is well worth reminding ourselves of them.

I think we do need to take time every so often to sit down and reflect on where we are where we’ve got to and where we want to go.

Sure we may have heard of smart goals but how many of us actually sit down and work through them on a regular basis?

All the best!

Doreen Gibson · October 7, 2018 at 7:55 am

Thank you and thanks for reading this article.  It is so true from time to time we all need a reminder about some basic things that we already know

Susan · October 7, 2018 at 7:48 am

Mikael,

I never quite looked at goal setting in the way you have put it here S.M.A.R.T. and now that you have brought this to my attention, I will be using this now on going forward.  I have just recently started to write things down that I want to get accomplished before my life is over because I have gotten somewhat of a late start.  But in setting goals for one’s self this makes much more sense to keep it real by setting goals and then working on them and making sure you have the tools and ideas on exactly how your going to make it.

Thanks for pointing these amazing things out.

Susan

Doreen Gibson · October 7, 2018 at 7:53 am

Thank you for taking the time out to read my article.  Happy to I was able to offer a few valuable tips that you found relevant.

Brandon · October 7, 2018 at 7:50 am

I actually didn’t think goal setting was that powerful and always thought it was a big joke until I decided to try it for myself…of course I am stubborn so goal setting sounds like something I really don’t want to do or try. But then BILLIONAIRES are coming out and saying you need goals to strive for and I thought this was definitely an eye opener. I started using the S.M.A.R.T technique about a year ago and have accomplished more in a year than I did in the 5 years of just “winging” it. You’ve done a great job and I thank you for this article!

Btw, you say we should have attainable goals but Grant Cardone the millionaire says we should 10x our goals. Instead of aiming for 1 million dollars, aim for 10 million. What do you think about his way of thinking? Thanks

Doreen Gibson · October 7, 2018 at 8:03 am

Thanks for stopping by, the jury is still out on that one personally I prefer the attainable goals sometimes aiming out of the ball park can be frustrating and overwhelming.

Anyway it is food for thought and something I might look at maybe 5x for beginners.

Andy Zeus Anderson · October 7, 2018 at 7:51 am

If you have ever failed to accomplish a dream or desired result you probably didn’t have S.M.A.R.T. goals set in place. Your mind needs simple steps to take, small pieces of the puzzle broke down to digest and task that seem easy and relevant make motivation a non factor. Steadily you find the progress measurable and the project end becomes clear.

Often the desired result comes earlier than the budgeted time because you were never given a dire deadline only time-frames for small task with a desired end result.

We tend to slow ourselves down thinking of all the work at once instead of those digestible pieces and the training for goal setting is not something you come out of grade school knowing. Most High School Graduates have little concept of how to break down a task for a team and actually meet a deadline because of this. Great post.

Doreen Gibson · October 7, 2018 at 8:04 am

Thank you for taking the time out to leave a comment.  Very insightful and thought provoking this has certainly given me an idea for another article on the subject.

Wesley McCoy · October 7, 2018 at 8:03 am

Thanks for these awesome tips for setting and creating goals. A lot of what is discussed here is reminds me of a book called think and grow rich. You may have herd of the confidence formula? You can search it but this is one of the things that really helped me.

I would say to make sure your goals are long term. Long term goals take a lot longer to achieve and much more effort. Therefore, you have to change a lot more to reach those goals.

What are some of your long term goals?

Doreen Gibson · October 7, 2018 at 8:12 am

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments.   I am planning on doing another article on the topic and indeed it will focus on long term goals.  My long term goals regarding my online business is to establish a presence in the online marketing business where I will be able to earn passive income over the coming years. I also want to educate and assist as many of my fellow country men and women as I can to be a part of the online marketing business.

Greg Cook · October 7, 2018 at 8:07 am

Hi Doreen. Thanks for reminding me about this again. As you say, you need to have a plan to achieve your goals or they are just dreams. Writing them down is important, which I have been neglectful on lately. I have a goal of replacing my income from my job with an online income with Wealthy Affiliate, so that has been the vehicle for me. Your post has been quite timely for me to go back and set some timelines. Thanks for a great post.

Doreen Gibson · October 7, 2018 at 8:14 am

Youare most welcome and thank you for taking the time out to read also

Rika · October 7, 2018 at 8:36 am

I need to re-evaluate my current situation.  It feels like I am running in circles and not getting anything done.  Your post gave me some excellent ideas.  Here are my answers to your four questions:  no, yes, 1 year, not sure yet.

This made me realize I need to set new goals for the short and long term.  I am going to try your S.M.A.R.T. approach.  I am sure this will give me some direction.

I like the idea of taking a bigger goal and breaking it down into smaller bite sizes.  Something a lot more manageable.

My biggest goal for the next 12 months is to become financially independent.  Do you maybe have some cost effective ideas for me?

Thanks for sharing some excellent goal setting ideas with us!

Doreen Gibson · October 7, 2018 at 5:41 pm

So happy these little reminders got you thinking and hopefully will get you back on track.

Thanks for commenting.