How to start online is not as complicated as it was up to 10 years ago. Online Business has slowly progressed into one of the largest industries in the world. It is also the easiest way to own your business.
Based on testimony and evidence from experts in this industry there is a proven sequence of steps you can follow to guarantee your success when you are starting a business online.
There are thousands of people who own successful businesses online. I will guide you on how to get started online today from right here in Jamaica or anywhere else in the world you are located.
Simple Steps to Follow how to Start Online:
- Identify a need and fill it.
- Create a website.
- Write good articles and post on your site.
- Find a way to get people to visit your website.
- Build your brand.
- Follow up with your customers and subscribers with e-mail.
- Find ways to make money from your website.
Anyone, from newbie to seasoned online entrepreneur, can benefit from this process of learning how to get started online.
Step 1: Identify a need and fill it
The guidelines on how to get started online are no different from the “brick and mortar” business. You have to prepare your business plan and effectively implement it.
To boost your chances of success in your business online you need to first find a group of people who are searching for a solution to a problem. Your job now is to find the solution and take it to them. You have to go where they are and market your business where they will see you.
Some of the ways to do this are by:
- Visiting online forums in the area you have chosen and see what questions people ask and what problems they are trying to solve.
- Do Keyword search to find keywords that a lot of people are searching, but for which not many sites are competing.
- Check out the sites of other people who are in a similar area you have chosen and see what they are offering. Try to fill the gap and implement ways to do it better than your competition.
Step 2: Create a website
Now that you have identified the problem you want to solve it is now time to position yourself on the internet so the people can find you. Make the website very user-friendly you have fewer than five seconds to grab someone’s attention.
There are millions of other websites they can visit so you have to stand out.
Some important tips to keep in mind:
- Choose one or two plain fonts on a white background.
- Make your navigation clear and simple, and the same on every page.
- Only use graphics, audio or video if they enhance the content of your post.
- Include an opt-in offer so you can collect e-mail addresses.
- Your website should be user/customer-friendly.
Step 3: Write good quality articles to compliment your website
Your articles must capture the attention of your visitors from the get-go. So your headlines and introduction have to be very good. Let your readers want to come back and invite others to visit also.
Here are some tips you can follow:
- Arouse interest with a compelling headline.
- write articles that will keep the reader on your site for more than five minutes.
- Offer genuine solution without making a sales pitch.
- Offer free gifts.
- Ensure you get an email address.
- follow up immediately.
When you are writing always think about the reader. Write for them, tell them what they want to hear and make every effort to solve their problem. If you are not able to help refer them to where they will be able to get help.
Step 4: Finds ways to get people to visit your website
There are many tried and proven ways to get people to your website. Some will cost you while others are free.
Here are some of the ways I have used over the years:
- social media – use up facebook, twitter and all the others you frequent
- submit articles to article directories
- visit forums and participate
- visit other websites and leave valuable comments
- pay-per-click advertising
Step 5: Build your brand
People use the internet to find information. Provide that information for free to other sites, and you’ll see more traffic and better search engine rankings. The secret is to always include a link to your site with each piece of information.
- Give away free, expert content. Create articles, videos or any other content that people will find useful. Distribute that content through online article directories or social media sites.
- Include “send to a friend” links on valuable content on your website.
- Become an active expert in industry forums and social networking sites where your target market hangs out.
You’ll reach new readers. But even better, every site that posts your content will link back to yours. Search engines love links from relevant sites and will reward you in the rankings.
Step 6: Follow-up with your subscribers with e-mails to turn visitors into customers
The purpose of building an opt-in list is to get the contacts of people who are interested in what you have to offer so you can follow-up in marketing your products. When your visitors /subscribers leave your contact they have given you permission to send them e-mails. That means:
- You’re giving them something they’ve asked for.
- You’re developing lifetime relationships with them.
- The response is 100 percent measurable.
- E-mail marketing is cheaper and more effective than print, TV or radio because it’s highly targeted.
Anyone who visits your site and opts into your list is a very hot lead. And there’s no better tool than e-mail for following up with those leads.
Aweber is a great tool to help you keep in contact with your subscribers.
Step 7: Ensure that you get that sale
Most times when a visitor leaves their contact it is because they want something from you. You have to ensure that you make the best of it and maintain a lasting relationship even they did not make a purchase initially.
Another important thing is that one of the strategies is to develop every customer’s lifetime value. Experts say that at least 36 percent of people who have purchased from you once will buy from you again if you follow up with them. Closing that first sale is by far the most difficult part–not to mention the most expensive.
Some suggestions for you:
- Offer products that will solve their problem
- Be a testimony of the product
- Be honest give the pros and the cons
- Refer them to substitute while imploring the value of what you are offering
- Remember to send out “Thank you” letters after a purchase
- Become a friend
Reward your customers for their loyalty and they’ll become even more loyal.
The internet changes so fast that one year online equals about five years in the real world. But the principles of how to start and grow a successful online business haven’t changed at all. If you’re just starting a small business online, stick to this sequence. If you’ve been online awhile, do a quick review and see if there’s a step you’re neglecting, or never got around to doing in the first place. You can’t go wrong with the basics.
Now that you know how to get started online take a look at this wonderful program that assisted me.
NB. You pay no money to start.