Online Jobs are becoming more and more accessible to aspirants worldwide and Jamaicans are no exception. Have you ever thought of teaching English to foreigners? Well, it is possible to do it online right from the comfort of your homes. Yes, you can teach English online……. I know a lot of Jamaicans who are now earning a salary from teaching English online right here in Jamaica.
Teaching English in a foreign country can be an incredible challenge, especially if you are physically on location, and it can also be one of the most fulfilling experiences you’ll ever have. Living abroad, absorbing the culture of other people, and using your native English knowledge to enlighten your students are all wonderful aspects of this rewarding career. It is also rewarding if you have the opportunity to teach English online and eliminate some of the challenges of relocating.
Things to Consider Before Signing up to Teach English Online
But before you take the plunge and sign up for a job to teach English online, there are a few things you should consider about yourself and your intended path. Keep in mind not everyone is cut out for a job like this!
- Time zones for different countries can be very tricky
- Find out what is the online payment system of the country you will be teaching students in and ensure that the form of payment is accessible in Jamaica
- Decide whether you want to work for a school, a tutoring service or operate your own business from your website
- Be absolutely clear on what you will be offering – whether to build their vocabulary or just to speak native English
- How much will you charge per session
- How will you promote your services
- Patience is Key
- Be aware of the local education system where you want to teach
- Get to understand your students’ lifestyle
- Prepare a very good introduction video
Still sound like fun? Congratulations! You’re one of a special group of people who will find it a pleasure to teach English online.